Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"How to Train Your Dragon" Party

My little boy turned 7 this past weekend.  He was so excited we started planning over a month in advance.  He just HAD to have a "How To Train Your Dragon Party".  So this is what we did.

First we had to make the invitations....  We found this silhouette (very similar to "Toothless" from the movie) and I turned it into a SVG file for my Sure Cuts Alot.
Then he put together the design & wording for his invitation using a "dragon" font we downloaded off the internet.


First, we ran to the dollar store and picked up all the children's size medium red t-shirts they had in stock (sorry, if anyone was looking for them) I used a freezer paper technique to paint  "Toothless" on each shirt so each boy would have their own.


After watching the movie and more pizza & snacks than I thought was possible for little boys to digest, we started playing the games....


1: We need to shoot a dragon out of the sky!... Normally my first instinct would be a pinata.  But apparently, at his school, they are so passe (he he he)  So here's what we did.  I printed out this picture of "Toothless" in flight.  I used the program PosteRAZOR to blow up my little tiny jpg  image into a larger print. 
 Then we purchased some "sticky bug sling shot thingy's" from Wal-mart's birthday section (I'm pretty sure that is the technical term for them).  I laminated the picture and hung it as high up on our family room wall as it could go. The boys all took turns (well, at least in the beginning) throwing their "bugs" at "Toothless".  It was pretty hilarious watching them figure out how to use a "sling shot bug" and then all trying, at once, to hit the same spot on toothless.

2: WE HAVE TO FEED THE DRAGONS: Ok, this one was pretty easy.  I printed out some pictures of the dragons from the movie.  Applied them to foam board and cut out "feeding spots"


Then, as we all know, dragons eat fish right???? (Alright, that is what I was informed)  So I ran into the craft room and used some scrap shark material to make the boys bean bags. (Which they all got to take home with them)

3: Pin the Tooth on Toothless:  Need we say anymore.  I just tweaked the "donkey-tail" game.  Printed out this adorable picture of Toothless and cut out some white triangles.  It was adorable!

And we can't forget the CAKE!  My son doesn't like chocolate cake or icing, and after many failed attempts we determined that Mommy just can't color white icing black (like Toothless)  So he settled on green, as long as there were flames coming out of his mouth! (I admit it, the flames are a Christmas Decoration from Wal-mart)  Inside we colored the cake Red & Blue (because dragons are different than other animals, they have red & blue stuff in them)
 At the end of the party each boy was given their own bag (yup decorated with Toothless) to take home!  Complete with too much candy, their sticky bug thingy & a shark bean bag!


Everyone had a blast, and somehow my family room survived the boys for an afternoon!  What a great birthday party!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! Such an awesome party! I think I'm going to do this for my kid someday... or for me, in the near future. ;)

That must have been a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow,this is pretty cool,it's,amazing.
Wich lettertype did you use for the invitations? Greets :)